Monday, April 30, 2012

Hard Battles

Wildwood Zoo-2008
This is a post I never imagined writing.

How fitting that this morning, the first sound I heard was that of a Mourning Dove. The sun is shining and the sky is clear, and it doesn't seem fair for the heaviness that I am carrying inside of me.

The young man in the photo at the left is the son of a good friend of mine. He took his own life this past weekend at age 19. (He is pictured with his sister on left and my daughter on right.) Right now, there are not enough words, nor enough tears to express the sadness and pain that his family and friends feel.

I have spent many hours and days with my friend & her kids. I helped them find and move into their house in NC. I love them like my own. Lawrence was a bright, energetic inquisitive boy who was growing into an  intelligent, caring young man. There were minor bumps in that road, like we all have had, but it seemed as if he was smoothing over the rough spots.

He practiced yoga & loved the Asian Culture, especially the idea of  Ninjas. He was very artistic, protective of his sister & always looking for ways to help people. He was a lover of science & nature, and spent his last moments alone in the peace & quiet of the woods that he loved so much. The news of his passing has come as a huge shock.

I remember one time, when the family first moved down south, where my friend and I saw this grotesque bug-like creature jumping across the floor.  We backed away, not knowing if it was going to sting or eat us, and Lawrence stepped into action, and instead of killing it, he trapped it and proceeded to study it and learn about it. Then he set it free. To his credit, I now know more about Camel Crickets than the average Pennsylvanian.

There is a saying that goes: "Be kinder than necessary; for everyone is fighting a hard battle". I think we are all fighting our own personal battles. Some of us fight on the outside in obvious ways, and others are fighting on the inside, silently & alone, and don't know that there are allies to stand next to them, and behind them to help them win those battles.

We may never know why Lawrence made this choice, but we do know that many other teens also feel that there is no other option. My only hope is that we can become better allies-better friends to each other & prevent this kind of a tragedy from happening to another bright young soul.

Today, I'm asking that you choose to be kinder than necessary. Especially to yourself. Reach out to others in words and action, to help and be helped. No one has to ever feel or be alone.

Don't just fight those battles, win them.





*If you have a resource link to share for families, Please Post it in the comments below. Include the city and state where located.



S.A.V.E -Suicide Prevention

Kids Health-Teen Suicide

American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry

The Darkness - Suicide Prevention



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!