Friday, December 7, 2012

In Case You Missed It: Educational Toys

One of the things I miss about having young children is going into toy stores. I think I used to have more fun than the kids-trying the new items that came out each year.

I'm slightly removed from the toy loop as my kids have gotten older, but one of the traditions I started years ago is to purchase one toy or game for each of my kids to remind them to embrace that creative, playful part of us that lives on no matter how old we get. Last year it was Silly Putty (which I had once banned forever because some was left on a couch by my young sons and I sat on it and ruined an expensive pair of wool pants.)

One year I got a busy box for my then 21 year old son, because he liked to examine and touch everything he saw. (He still does). That was the same year I got a bag of extra Mr. Potato Head parts for my other son who worked in the culinary industry and was always cutting himself and getting more stitches. He liked to show off his scars. I gave him the extra parts that "Just in Case" he needed them. They both loved the gifts and had fun sitting there playing with them on Christmas morning

One of toys that I most use as a teacher would have to be the Hoberman Sphere (otherwise called the "Breathing Ball"). This versatile toy can  not only be used to teach children how their chest and lungs should properly expand and contract while breathing, but also is visually attractive & encourages concentration.

Each year at holiday time, I do my best to find gifts that are not only fun but functional & educational. Using the imagination through play is the best way for children learn.

I've compiled a short list of 9 favorite toys and games for kids this week: most are appropriate for sensory development and adaptable to special needs. I've included a description of the item, the skills each teaches and why its one of my favorites. These are all toys that I myself am familiar with and have used with my own kids, family members or students. I've included links to each so you can decide for yourself if its right for your child. This post is a bit longer than usual, but I wanted to give as much information as possible.

Feel free to add your own favorites in the comments section, along with a link if possible, or your own critique and tips if there is a toy listed here that you have purchased for your child. You can also list toys that you did NOT like-and tell us why. I'd like this post to become a growing resource for everyone's holiday gift giving.

Happy Shopping and Have a Play-full Weekend!

~Barbara

PS-At the very bottom of this post I've included a link to a news story I saw this week that saddened me. It shows little children in India being used for labor to make holiday ornaments. At this time of year, which should be a happy time for children, I urge you to please know what you are buying and where it came from. We've all bought the "cheap" ornaments at the dollar stores, and I know its impossible to know who made it and under what conditions,  but I know after seeing this I will be more conscious of what I am purchasing and the person who helped make that item.

I've also included a link to "Toys for Tots" and "Operation Christmas Child". I hope that if you are able, you will participate in their Holiday toy drives. This is a great way to teach kids about the spirit of giving, gratitude & helping each other out in times of need.




Hoberman Sphere - (Pictured at top): This unique and eye-catching Expanding Mini-Sphere is perfect for for all ages and abilities. You can spin, roll and suspend it. It can be used for breathing & self-calming exercises for kids. Expands from 5.5" to 12".  I love them because these spheres inspire children to be creative and inventive. They come in larger sizes as well as a glow in the dark version.

Snap Circuits- This toy offers children ages 8 and up, and exciting, hands-on introduction to electronics. The kit contains more than 30 color-coded, real circuit components that snap together & combine to create working circuit boards just like the ones found inside televisions, radios, and other electronic devices. Snap Circuits provide hands-on education in how electrical circuits work to run the everyday devices that we are familiar with. With 100 do-it-yourself projects & easy-to-follow instructions, this toy lends itself to an entertaining, concrete education on how electronics work. I love the creative aspects and the fun projects: a sound-activated switch, a musical doorbell, a voice-controlled lamp, a flying saucer, and a light police siren. Kids can experiment with things like electric switches, integrated circuits, digital circuits, fuses, and the transforming circuit sounds into other sounds.

Spot It ! - I love this game for younger children & preschoolers, ages 4-7. Its a fun way to improve visual perception,pattern recognition and practice matching. There are several versions of the "Spot It" games-the link provided goes to the "Animals" version. Colorful (& adorable) animals appeal to younger children. The round tin travels easily in backpack, pocket or in the car. Each card is imprinted with 6 different animals of varying sizes and there is only one single matching animal between any 2 cards. there are 5 different games that can be played competitively or not. I also love the adaptability of this game to ages and ability.
Huggtopus

Kimochis-Huggtopus Box Set -Kimochi (Key.Mo.Chee) means "feeling" in Japanese. Kimochis are small pillows with a feeling (happy, sad, silly, brave) printed on one side, and a matching facial expression on the other. This toy helps develop healthy social and emotional skills. Each character comes with a set of three feelings and a "How-To" Feel Guide. (there is also a Cat, a Bug,(caterpillar), a Dove, a Rose, and a Cloud.) Each of the characters have a pocket where Kimochis (or feelings) can be stored. I love the character identification that takes place: by using these characters, children can learn about & understand their emotions through puppetry and play. (Huggtopus is very affectionate and strong and sometimes gets a little carried away by her big friendly personality. She always means well but has to learn about boundaries; Bug is a caterpillar who is afraid of change. He is thoughtful cautious and has a secret dreams of flying...etc.The Guide introduces the personalities of each character and offers parents tips and activities to help engage & strengthen relationships & connections. I also highly recommend the Kimochi Mini Mixed Bag (contains 12 different feelings) along with the Huggtopus or any of the characters. Well worth the money. 

Nature Kaleidoscope Making Kit - Kaleidoscopes are visually calming, due to  the symmetry of colors and shapes, and encourage communication between both sides of the brain if used equally on both eyes. (We are primarily dominant in one eye, just as we are with hands, feet, ears, etc. To determine which eye is dominant, place the scope on the table directly in front of your child, and let him pick it up and look through it. The eye he brings it up to is "dominant". Be sure that the non-dominant eye is also used for viewing to encourage development of the opposite side of the brain.) I love that this kit encourages creativity and allows you to make your own kaleidoscope over and over again using a variety of natural elements: dried flowers, polished gemstones, glass marbles and minerals. The kit contains parts for an 8 1/2" scope, two nature drawings to color as wraps and colored pencils.  Kids age 7-11 love to create and build things that are personal to them, and this is a perfect gift for filling that desire.

Therapy Ball Cards - 60 Fun therapy ball activities for kids age 4 and up to help keep them active & build body awareness, upper body and core strength, motor planning, visual perceptual skills, fine motor skills, and improve proprioceptive  input. There are four categories: Sitting Activities, Prone (Tummy) Activities, Standing and Other Activities, and Stretching Exercises. Each 3x5 card has an illustration of  activity & the back lists benefits, directions, and other tips for using therapy balls. I love that these cards are compact and come in a protective storage tin for easy transport. 
Kids Yoga Deck

Kids Yoga Deck - My all-time favorite yoga card deck for introducing yoga and exercise to kids. (I have used with ages 4 and up). It is useful, versatile, simple, visually attractive and colorful for kids & stimulates creativity and fun! With several categories, 50 playful poses and games, simple instructions and a durable storage box, these cards can be carried and used easily for a variety of purposes by yoga teachers, classroom para-educators, therapists and parents. Kids can also use the cards independently-even if they have limited language skills or can't read yet. 

Discovery Toys - Any and all of them.  I never met a Discovery Toy I didn't Like! Here is a link to my Facebook friend Arlene's page. Here is the Main Discovery Toys page.

Mr. Potato Head - A nostalgic favorite! Read this Pedia Staff article on the many therapeutic uses for Mr. Potato head and you will see why you should get one-or two-right now! 



*Please include your additions to this list below!


Enslaved Children Freed After Being Forced to Make Christmas Decorations

Toys For Tots Foundation


Operation Christmas Child




Contact: barbara@bodylogique.com

.















No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!