Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Adapting Yoga for Children with ADD



Photo: bodylogique.com 
I received a question several weeks ago in my inbox from an educator in Hong Kong, pertaining to constructing yoga classes & sequences for children with ADD.

My personal thoughts on how we diagnose and treat ADD could be a whole separate blog-(not just one single article-I mean an actual separate BLOG...) but to keep it succinct, I will just pose this question to you:

Do you find it odd that we place children-energetic children-who have growing bodies and curious brains-and a natural tendency to move and explore-into an 'educational' setting that not only isolates them from natural, active, outdoor play, but also directs all their activities and thinking, for almost all of their waking hours-some more than 12 hours daily if you throw in before and after school care--and then expect them to sit still, be quiet AND pay attention?

AND when they do not sit still, be quiet and pay attention as we want them to, diagnose them with a condition and recommend a course of 'treatment'?

Could it be that the "Attention Deficit Disorder" is actually a "Priority Preference Complex"- and the child is not paying attention because he/she is either bored, not mature enough to give you his/her attention, or has other priorities (playing) at the moment?

To put it another way: If a child was hungry or thirsty, would you deny them food and water? Of course not! Well, I feel that many schools deny kids other vital essentials-such as movement, sensory input, group learning activities as well as down (nap/quiet) time. We as educators and parents need to take back control of our kid's education and start using tools & methods that help support success and overcome challenges-not perseverate conditions.

This is one of the reasons I decided years to leave the traditional education system and become an independent educator. I now have the ability to reach and support many more children by supporting their parents and other educators-and therapists from around the world, in giving their kids more of what they need-in and out of the classroom.

Yoga is not the answer to everything, however it is a highly effective and adaptable method that naturally regulates the sensory system, and improves concentration when it is needed. It can be an activity that supports the other interventions that are put into place. Our kids need as much support and guidance as we can give them.

Below is the question I received and my response. Although it is directed at a question about a yoga class, it can be applied to any learning environment. (Some parts of the original e-mail  have been edited slightly to protect privacy) Please feel free to add any advice or resources you may know of  in the comments area below.


Dear Barbara,

Hope you are well!! I stumbled across your incredible work online on yoga with autistic children in Yoga in my school (http://yogainmyschool.com/2011/04/06/yoga-for-autism-with-barbara-gini/ ).  The reason I am writing to you is because I would love to seek your expert advice on teaching yoga for the first time to a child with special needs.   
I am a certified Basic Integral Hatha Teacher (200 YT) and was recently approached about teaching yoga to a nine year old child.  According to the father, the child has problems concentrating and has slight ADD.  I was asked to conduct a trial private yoga session with his child and so began my research on yoga for children with special needs.  

I would love it if you could perhaps share some words or wisdom, advice or online resources as I prepare my class structure- from what I gathered in your interview, being creative, using sound, repetition and simplistic language would be essential.  

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!  

With gratitude,
Davina



 Hello Davina 
Thank you so much for the e-mail and I am glad you enjoyed the interview with Donna.
There is such a need for people to work one on one with children who experience these challenges. I blend a lot of different information and science to customize the activities and sequences.
Every child is so different-and the key is getting to know your student and being aware of the subtle personality quirks. Being creative (and sometimes un-conventional), using sound, repetition and simple everyday language in general is a good start, but you also must take into consideration the child's sensory tolerance and how easily they get overwhelmed. We want to take them just to the edge, but not over it. We want the experience to be one they will want to repeat instead of avoid, and in doing this we need to take care not to go the other way and give them no guidance or structure at all. Everything in balance.
In general, with ADD and sensory kids I work on first releasing tension through sensory input and weight bearing postures (disguised as games) and I focus on breathing & imagery for self calming. There are lots of activities that will stimulate & use the sensory system to calm anxiety and bring better focus.
ADD children will have highs and lows to their energy and its our job to direct it-not place a blanket  over it. Children like to move and the more movement (games are the best way to do this) the better. Gradually take them down to a calmer energy and give them tools to stay in that calm-ness for longer durations. 
ADD can be an asset if its directed properly. The problem is that kids are expected to sit and be quiet and compliant for long durations and its unnatural. My goal is to give them yoga and sensory-based tools so they can blend and function better in these unnatural environments.
I can give you some other basics and some resources or I can work with you more personally so you can gradually introduce methods with your student. In either case, I would love to talk more by phone or Skype if possible-there is so much information it would take me hours to type it!
Looking forward to talking with you soon!
Barbara
215-257-3193
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
If you have a question regarding a child with ADD or other challenges and would like a consultation or to brainstorm ideas by phone or Skype, please contact me at: bodylogique.info@gmail.com 



Related Articles:


Constructive Fidgeting for Self-Regulation

The Brain on Yoga

I Will not Allow My Exam Grade to Decide My Fate  (Video)

Easy Beginner Postures for Kids

In Case You Missed It: March 2012 (Article Links)

20 ADHD Accommodations that Work



To find our growing library of
Webinars and Conference Call recordings 
visit AnyMeeting

.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. I really like your site. I found it helpful and informative. I think people should go through it.Thank you for sharing.

    Benefits of yoga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is very helpful and informative for those who have children growing. Thanks for sharing this to us.
    Yoga Articles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your comments!