Saturday, July 30, 2011

Labyrinth Adventures

Labyrinth & mazes are found all around the world in many cultures and civilizations. Designs have been found carved in rock, clay tablets, mosaics, manuscripts and pavements. The significance of them for the various cultures they were part of and the story of how they developed from one place to another is often mysterious and hard to grasp.
The labyrinth has long been associated with the legend of the Minotaur, the monster half-man half-bull which resided in the heart of a labyrinth on the island of Crete. Theseus was able to get to the center of the labyrinth, slay the Minotaur and find his way out again by following a thread he had trailed behind him on the way in.

A labyrinth differes from a maze in that it has only one path that weaves its way to the center and back out again. There is only one entrance and exit: no dead ends, and no choice of which way to turn. In recent years, labyrinths have seen a resurgence as an interactive tool for spiritual reflection, meditation and focus.

Several weeks ago at the Summer Connections Camp at  Teamwork Wins (a local camp for children with Asperger's and other hidden challenges) I created an outdoor labyrinth using some colored rope. The theme of the week was "Treasure Hunt" or "seeking & finding that which is hidden". I thought this would be a good time to introduce labyrinths to the kids.

I first gave each camper a printable labyrinth to use on the tabletop (Find "Printable Labyrinth Activity" here) and showed them how to use it. Then I told them that there was a large labyrinth in the yard that we were going to use topractice concentrating and relaxing. They were excited!

It was a very hot & humid day so I didn't keep them outside as long as I wanted. Had it been cooler I would have allowed them to do a relaxation & guided imagery when they got to the center.

Some of the feed back I got was great:

"It took longer than it looks."

"Its really hot out here, but I feel calm and relaxed anyway."

"That was COOL! Can I do it again?"

and my very favorite: 

"You MADE this for us?"

I thought the best way to show you what we did was with a photo album journal. You can view the
album here:

Labyrinth Day

I'd love to hear about how you have used labyrinth activities on the playground, in therapy or in the classroom!

Here are some other links to learn more:

http://www.labyrinthresourcegroup.org/manual.html

http://kidsrelaxation.com/2011/03/21/labyrinth-activities-to-calm/






.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!