Friday, May 21, 2010

Special Olympians: Brave in The Attempt

"Let me win. But if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt."

This is the "Athlete's Oath"  recited in the opening ceremonies of the Special Olympics. When the first-ever International Special Olympics Summer Games were held on 20 July 1968, Eunice Kennedy Shriver had discussed the idea of a Special Olympics oath with the then Public Relations Advisor to the Kennedy Foundation.Shriver asked him to draft something so that the athletes would feel good about trying, and if they were not successful, they wouldn't feel that they had failed. In front of the many spectators and visitors, Shriver memorably opened the first Special Olympics Games with these words:

"In ancient Rome, the gladiators went into the arena with these words on their lips: 'Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt.'

"Today, all of you young athletes are in the arena. Many of you will win, but even more important, I know you will be brave, and bring credit to your parents and to your country. Let us begin the Olympics. Thank you."

Today, along with my 10 year old daughter, I had the pleasure of observing these athletes in the arena, at North Penn High School in Lansdale PA. I have been working with a group of young men at the Perkiomen Valley Middle School, since October using movement & imagery techniques for focus, calming, strength building & flexibility. Today they put some of  those skills to work. They were excited, a bit nervous, and did their very best.  It was a joy to cheer them on along with their families!

As I was snapping photos, the things I saw through the camera lens illustrated so beautifully the Oath that Eunice Kennedy Shriver envisioned more than 40 years ago: The perceived disabilities were not as noticeable as the excitement, determination & the brave attempt these  young men and women were exhibiting. It made me reflect on all the times I wanted to quit something or don't even attempt to do something because I let my fear-or my own perceived inabilities - to get in the way. These athletes showed no fear-and are not even aware of how they have inspired me.

This day and this event could not have been more spectacular: from the the torch run, to the incredible (acapella) harmonic voices of athletes & buddies singing the National Anthem, the beautiful sun shining, friends supporting each other, all children of all ages & abilities being included in the events & most importantly, in the eyes of the families, coaches, buddies, teachers & other spectators, not only were they brave in the attempt, but everyone was indeed a winner!

Love & Laughter,

Barbara



For more information visit:   BodyLogique on Facebook...

1 comment:

We welcome your comments!