Sunday, May 30, 2010

Peace Pose

Rafiki sitting in 'Peace Pose'
I am sititng outside. Today is a perfect day for soaking in the peacefulness of the sunshine, the clear blue sky & the cool breeze & watching Lauren, my daughter play with the neighbors grandchildren. They have had a very fun & busy morning; running barefoot in the grass, playing wiffle ball, catching butterflies, picking (and eating) strawberries from our garden, blowing dandelion seeds, playing with dolls and pretending to be astronauts.

Lauren came home to 'check in' a few minutes ago-and to tell me she was going in her room to 'rest a minute'.  I became concerned and asked her if she felt well. She looked at me with a confused look & reassured me that she just needed a break.

So now I am wondering why we tend to think someone is not feeling well when they want to rest? As much as varied movement should be a regular part of our daily activity, so should rest. Resting is just as important as sleep yet differs from sleep in that we are still aware of our surroundings when we are at rest. Resting recharges our energy supply without shutting down the entire sensory system. In fact, it tunes in our senses even more. I teach this all the time, I also practice it myself, and yet when my own daughter recognized that she needed to rest, I assumed it was because she was not well.

She needed some peace & quiet. It was that simple. And she has been listening and observing me all along. I am reminded of a quote:

“If we are to teach real peace in this world...we shall have to begin with the children.”
                                                                                                                          ~Mahatma Gandhi


One of the first things I taught Lauren as a toddler was the 'Peace Pose'. (Known in the grownup world as  padmasana  or Lotus Pose.)  It is one of the most basic of poses, but not always easy to get a child to do!

Lauren, however, would be right next to me, in her pajamas, as I sat and 'tuned in' to the quietness of the morning and the peacefulness inside of me. Its something I have reminded her of over the years, when she is 'wound up' after school, or stressed during testing week, or after an upsetting argument with a 'BFF' (or with me...).  I've always told her that she can sit 'in peace' and just be with her breath anytime she needs to, and now, after releasing all her excess energy this morning, she did exactly that.

She just came back out-smiling & humming, her hair pinned up & dressed in her bathing suit. Her skin glowing and her eyes alert. She kissed me & told me she is going back to the neighbor's now, to run in the sprinklers. I told her I was going inside for a bit to take a break. She asked me if I was feeling ok and I had to laugh. I told her yes, I just needed a break.

She told me I should try 'Peace Pose', it was a perfect day for it.

 'Peace Pose': (For Kids)

1. Sit on a folded blanket or cushion with your back straight but not stiff.
2. Criss-cross legs and tuck each foot under the opposite leg.
3. Place hands on knees or make the 'ok' symbol with hands & place on
     knees.
4. Breathe quietly-with eyes closed -for a few minutes.
5. Think of the word 'Peace' as you sit & breathe.


* "Peace Pose" can be used when under stress or when feeling calm already. It helps to release tension almost instantly & strengthens the spine. It relaxes and opens hips and lower back muscles, which improves posture. Improved posture will enhance respiration which in turn will relax and focus the nervous system & creating a sense of Peace.


'I feel calm & relaxed. It makes me feel like
I am floating around in the universe
& when I'm feeling angy it helps me settle.'

                                      ~Lauren, age 10



For more information on children's yoga, please visit us at:






Subscribe to S.M.Art Kids / Healthy Kids by Email



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!