Sunday, March 24, 2013

Change a Paradigm & Change a Child's Life

This weekend at the BCASC Autism Conference, Carol Gray, the keynote speaker, said so many things in her phenomenal presentation that resonated. One thing she said though really stuck with me:


"Change a paradigm 
and you change a child's life".

A Paradigm is defined as:

     1
: examplepatternespecially : an outstandingly clear or typical example or archetype
     2
: an example of a conjugation or declension showing a word in all its inflectional forms
     3
: a philosophical and theoretical framework of a scientific school or discipline within which theories, laws, and generalizations and the experiments performed in support of them are formulated; broadly : a philosophical or theoretical framework of any kind.
4: A set of assumptions, concepts, values, and practices that constitutes a way of viewing reality for the community that shares them, especially in an intellectual discipline. 

2 comments:

  1. In my classroom, I taught high school aged students on the Spectrum with behavioral issues. One paradigm that had go out the window was the traditional classroom structure of rules and consequences. Over time I realized that the change could be a good thing for all students, not just ones with behavioral issues. In my class, the rules / consequence paradigm was replaced with a "rights, duties, and privileges" structure. There were literally NO RULES in my classroom.

    The word "Rules" was and is a limiting, oppressive concept. These children already felt like they had no power or control in their lives. In fact, this was the underlying cause of much of their behavior issues to begin with. How then, was I to help modify that behavior if I exacerbated the problem with more rules? The first day of class, I would guide my students through creating a classroom Rights (empowering and sacrosanct), Duties (jobs for all to do), and Privileges (empowering, but reliant on their choices to keep them). By the time we were done, the students knew EXACTLY what was expected of them, and more importantly, WHY they were expected and HOW they benefited them personally.

    This concept works at home, at school, and at play. I knew I was onto something the day I was told that the founder of our school randomly ran into one of my students parents, who took the opportunity to thank her saying, "I feel like I've got my son back." I continued to refine and develop the concept during the years I taught there, and saw significant improvement in behavior issues across the entire student population.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel, this is a great innovation of the "Rules" and "reward/punishment" model. I would love to see more methods like this from all educators.

      Delete

We welcome your comments!