Friday, August 17, 2012

In Case You Missed it: August 13-17


The kitchen is a place where many skills are obtained and many lessons are learned. In addition to the obvious (fine motor, following directions, simple math,sensory integration, nutrition education, etc.) the secondary lessons (patience, focus, preparation, follow through, etc.) are just as important.

This week my daughter and I  spent a lot of time in the kitchen. She loves to cook for all of us, even if it is something simple, like garlic bread or spaghetti gravy. This week we made refrigerator pickles which are very easy, but take  a long time to prepare and have a bit of a wait in between each step.  She was getting restless in between each step and kept darting out of the kitchen to check her cell phone for texts, get another hair elastic, change her shoes, etc.

I finally told her to shut off the cell phone and put it in a drawer. (She was not happy about that but complied.) Being somewhat of a storyteller, I began to tell her stories of being her age and helping my mother and grandmother in the kitchen. She rolled her eyes a bit and then I told her about the first meal I cooked when I was married to my first husband. (It was terrible and he told me so!) She began to giggle and ask me questions and gave her own insight and advice on what I should have done and he should have said, and I realized that everything I try to teach her, is in there. It was evident in the fact that she was listening objectively, making connections and giving good commentary.

Before we knew it, we had 13 jars of crunchy, delicious pickles, one of which we devoured out on the patio with our lunch.

Spend some time this weekend with the cell phones in a drawer and prepare some food with your kids. Tell them stories and be willing to be vulnerable-to make an example of yourself. Its such a memorable way to deepen bonds with them, teach them, and most importantly, listen to and learn about them.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Here are your links for the week:



Benefits of Cooking With Children

5 Back to School Tips for Your ADHD Child

Back to School Nutrition Primer

Keeping Kids Calm & Connected

Its All Sensory!

Back to School: Vaccine Exemptions

Spech Jenga: Articulation  (Speech Therapy)

Oh No-The Chinese are Beating Us!  (Education Reform)

10 Steps to Encouraging Kids to Participate



Contact: barbara@bodylogique.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!