Friday, August 31, 2012

In Case You Missed It: August 27-31

Photo: marthastewart.com
by Becca Bond Photography


So, its the last week of summer vacation, and the store aisles are loaded with back to school supplies. The kids are having mixed feelings about summer ending and getting back to their school friends and activities.

Every year around this time, as we prepare her back pack and figure out her schedule, I talk with my daughter about her summer and the places we went, the things we accomplished, what we learned, etc.

I also take the time to listen to her goals for the upcoming year.

I started doing this with her when she was about 7. The only requirement is that it be a positive goal that will improve or enhance her life or someone else's. I have found that it is a good ice breaker for transitioning back to school: it helps keep her focused and reduces that first day anxiety.

At the beginning, I would help her come up with 2-3 simple ideas by prompting with a "what could we do about..." question. I would write her responses down. As soon as she was old enough, I had her reflect what she wanted to do for the first time (or do better) in the upcoming year, and write it down herself in a composition book to show me later. The result has been a chronicled personal journey for her that has become a real treasure.

Some of the goals she has set for herself over the years:

Help my teacher
Keep my desk clean
Make more friends
No chasing boys on the playground
Talk less in class
Practice my math more
No fighting with my BFF's
Neater printing
Stand up for the kids that get picked on
Make honor roll
Perfect Attendance
Play more sports
Stay out of drama
Love Life

Each year we go back and see what goals were reached and which ones need to be worked on more. This has also become a great self-evaluation tool. She understands that its important to set goals, be organized & work towards goals with all of her best abilities. This has been much more effective than me telling her what I want her to achieve.

I'm sending out a wish for  all students of all ages and abilities, to enjoy reaching their personal goals this year.

Have a Great Holiday Weekend.



Above and Beyond:

The 'Goldilocks Effect' in Action

Visual affirmation Tools for Kids

What Teens Learn by Overcoming Challenges

Back to School Tip: Decoding the Teacher's Weekly Letter

Back To School Ice Breakers & Resource For Teachers 

The Connection Between Working Parents & Children's Diet

5 Kid-Friendly Lunches

Investing in Children's After-School Hours




Contact Barbara at : www.bodylogique.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!