Friday, August 3, 2012

In Case You Missed It: Summer Travel & Learning

Wilma Rudolph, Rome, 1960
Ever since I was a child, I have always loved watching the Olympics. My favorite part was the parade of nations-all the colors of the flags and the medal ceremonies fascinated and inspired me.

There are some amazing athletes this year that bring back that sense of wonder I had watching Olympics as a young girl who loved participating in sports.

One of my childhood heros and inspirations has been Wilma Rudolph, who is pictured on the left. She overcame so many obstacles to participate in the Rome Olympics in 1960 and opened many doors for underprivledged youth wanting to participate in sports.

When I feel like life is handing me a bad hand, and I want to quit or retreat, I think of her and so many others - past and present - who have persisted in the face of adversity to become true champions. I am reminded of how we can transform ourselves physically and mentally through activity, but also through the many things we learn incidentally through the joy of sport.

Hoping that you are inspired to find and encourage a physical activity that your child enjoys participating in, that transforms them beyond their challenges.


Have a great weekend.


~Barbara




Travel Tips for Special Needs Families

Exciting Kids For Back to School

What Athletes with ADHD Can Teach Us

6 Great Oline Games for Summer Learning

Pets Improve Social Learning in Kids with Autism

Boy with Cerebral Palsy Finishes Triathalon, Thanks to His Brother



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments!